(UPDATED IN 2017) In 2010, I redesigned two websites for companies selling office furniture and supplies.
It is easy to forget that many people working in institutional environments do not have the latest in computer equipment. Some are stuck with older operating systems, obsolete browsers, and high levels of security. Reasons may include:
- organizational dependence on an intranet that was built to work with older software and hardware;
- the cost of upgrading a large network all at once;
- internet security concerns because of sensitive data on the network;
- to keep employees off Facebook;
- “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” attitude – even when it isn’t working well for some employees.
What is your experience? Have you worked in an environment with old computer equipment and systems? What factors prevented management from upgrading?